Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Shades of Gray

There is serious and ongoing debate about too few Winnipeg Police feet on the street. They don't have time to respond to take a vehicle theft report. There are too few to man community police centres. Or chase down parole violators.

But they can raid private clubs and lay charges against illegal gaming? I wonder who establishes priorities for the Winnipeg Police?

Don't get me wrong. The Winnipeg Police do a great job. I'm not a police basher. I'm also not a gambler. Not even casually. Thus establishing myself as fully unbiased in this matter...

The issue I have stems from how the police prioritize matters. The private gaming industry is full of ostensibly sane adults participating in something they enjoy, that hurts no one. And before our social conscience goes off on me no less an authority then the government runs and licenses "legal" gaming parlours all over Manitoba. So it MUST be harmless, right?

I read in the Winnipeg Free Press that SIXTY police officers participated in the raids. Wow, imagine how many car thefts might have been investigated. Or how many hours could the community police stations been manned?

I say to all Manitoba justice officials, to the Winnipeg Police, and our Provincial and Municipal politicians, 'tis time to seriously reevaluate your priorities. To assign such significant resources to prosecute an area of law bathed in shades of gray is asinine.

When choosing between going after scofflaws participating in activities that GOVERNMENT agencies sanction versus chasing car thief's and parole violators, I say go after the real criminals every time.

For gawd's sake people, give your heads a shake...

downtown winnipeg images

downtown winnipeg images
source: StBPegger

source: carly's blog, james2010

source: carly's blog, james2010