Monday, June 11, 2007

Winnipeg, Winnipeg, How I Love Thee Winnipeg

I have only recently begun to participate in this thing called "blogging". It's interesting and addictive.

Whilst I read other blogs I have discovered there are those that have something negative to say about Winnipeg and tend to say it. Incredibly, it's all too often fellow Winnipeggers that niggle at this fine burgh. Or those that have moved away, to discover utopia.

One of my passions is my home town. I'm not sure why. I do know there are many, many other Winnipeggers that share my passion. I also know there are a few that have little use for my city.

During that voyage of discovery I've found myself defending Winnipeg often. I even wrote a letter to the editor of a Winnipeg paper complaining about the propensity of negative stories featuring Winnipeg. Got published!

Remember, this is a blog about Winnipeg. My intent was to post stories that were meaningful to me about... Winnipeg. Since no city is perfect, including Winnipeg, I expect to write posts that are both pro and con.

I'd like some help. But I'll start.
What I love about Winnipeg.

  • Really nice warm people.
  • Great small-BIG city; big enough to have all the amenities; small enough it takes no time to get "there".
  • Salisbury House and Gondola Pizza. You just have to grow up with them to know what I mean.
  • Great people. Mostly.
  • Smog free.
  • No traffic jams. Well, only a few. Not worth mentioning really.
  • The Winnipeg Jets. This is the most popular non-existent sports franchises known to man.
  • The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Canada's team. Note to world: they will win the 2007 Grey Cup.
  • Best Spring-Summer-Fall in the whole world. The winter is "challenging".
  • Great arts community. I'm not big on Ballet, Symphonies, Choral stuff. But others are. And we gots some of the very best.
  • A gud edumacation sistem. Real afordabble-like too.
  • Excellent people. Real easy to meet. Unpretentious.
  • Very affordable real estate. It has taken off a bit in the last 3 or 4 years, but still a good bargain can be found.
  • Excellent neighborhoods.
  • Oh, I should add that the people of Winnipeg are terrific.

There's ton's more. I'm hoping to add to this from readers of Winnipeg Dash Blog. If any.

cheers

downtown winnipeg images

downtown winnipeg images
source: StBPegger

source: carly's blog, james2010

source: carly's blog, james2010